Tucked away on Grafton Road our school was built in the 1880s. The foundations of the school were laid in 1883 and the school opened its doors in 1884 with three large departments for infants, boys and girls. In total there were nearly 1800 children! This is very different in comparison to today where we have an average 400 pupils.
Originally the school was named Carlton Road School, because it was situated on what was then called Carlton Road. Early in the 1890’s the road was renamed to Grafton Road, but the school kept the name ‘Carlton’.
Up until 1886 the school building housed separate infant and junior schools, but in April 1886 the two schools merged to form Carlton Primary School.
Over the years the school has been modernised and is now very different in some places. For example, three mezzanines have been built, the front school office refurbished, and the Carlton Community Learning Centre (CCLC) built. However, throughout all of this change and modernisation the school has maintained its historical appearance and character.
Inside the school however, the school is up-to-date and successfully delivers a 21st century curriculum.
In January 2008 our school and the local community celebrated Foundation Day and in February 2009, the community celebrated Carlton’s 125th birthday!